Members Login

News Archive

Nitrox training

During the summer 2014, the club provided a Nitrox training course leading to 5 members becoming SAA Nitrox qualified.

Club committee changes

During December 2012, Tony Walsh took over as club secretary as John Shalcross retired. This follows Chris James taking over as incidents officer from Barbara Shalcross a little earlier in the year. The club would like to thank John and Barbara for doing these jobs so faithfully for many years and wish them "Happy Diving" as "ordinary" club members for many years to come.

In November 2012, Steven Hall completed his Open Water Instructor qualification bring the total number of qualified instructors to 4. Steven took over as club Training Officer in April 2013.

21 July 2012 - 5 ASAC members complete Diver Rescue qualification

Five members of ASAC completed the SAA Diver Rescue qualification at the Delph Diving Centre, Eccleston. The assessment was run by Martin Adshead, the SAA NW Rep, assisted by Garry Bolland, Keith Barnes and Mike Bond from Sefton Underwater Club. The qualification involves self-rescue, lifting an unconscious diver from depth, towing to shore giving rescue breaths, landing, dekitting and giving CPR. It also involves competency in first aid.

Pictured below from left to right are Steven Hall (ASAC), Paul Hindley (ASAC), Martin Adshead (SAA NW Rep), Keith Barnes (SUC), Multiply-rescued dummy, Garry Bolland (SUC), Jim Fisher (ASAC), Tony Walsh (ASAC) and Derek Evans (ASAC).

3 September 2011 - ASAC respond to Mayday call in the Farnes

Atherton Sub Aqua Club responded to a MAYDAY call off Staples Island in the Farne Islands where a group of 3 kyaks had got into difficulties resulting in 2 of them overturning. The ASAC rib and the "Golden Gate", a local passenger vessel, were at the scene within a few minutes picking up the three kyaks and each pulling one of the two casualties out of the water. Both vessels then made for the landing satage on Longstone where they were met by the inshore lifeboat. The Air-Sea rescue helicopter from RAF Boulmer also attended and assessed the medical condition of the two casualties. Eventually, all 3 kyakers and their kyaks were returned to Seahouses by the all weather lifeboat (pictured at the scene).

The official Seahouses Lifeboat Station news release is available here.